Homeowner's insurance doesn't always cover losses away from home.

Your medical insurance or HMO coverage may not be honored by clinics

and hospitals in distant locations. What if you have to cancel a prepaid

cruise or package tour because of an emergency?

There's an easy answer: travel insurance. You can buy policies to

cover lost or stolen baggage, medical emergencies, trip cancellations, trip

delays, baggage delays, and losses resulting from a transportation carrier's

bankruptcy. Your travel agent can arrange such coverage, or you can book

a policy through:

Travel Guard International

This company has been in business since 1982. It offers several

levels of coverage for trips of up to 365 days. Although full

coverage isn't cheap, it may be worth it if you're in a high-risk

health category or have committed thousands of dollars to a trip.